When you get sick of dining hall food (which you will, trust me), pick up some of your favorite ingredients at the nearby Hannaford and cook up some fresh meals in the comfort of your own room. As you probably won’t be living in an apartment with a kitchen, it is essential to utilize the world’s most useful appliance available in all resident hall common rooms: the microwave.
There are many delicious, easy ways to make recipes using just the magic of your common room microwave. When you don’t want to make the trip to the dining hall, whip up one of these five recipes commonly enjoyed by college students!
1. Mac and Cheese: Welcome to the 21st century when even mac and cheese is microwaveable. Available from popular brands such as Kraft and Annie’s, microwaveable mac and cheese is found on grocery store shelves everywhere. Just add water and heat up some savory cheesy goodness.
2. Ramen: Also known as “every-college-student’s-go-to-meal.” Ramen noodles come in a variety of flavors ranging from beef to chicken and make for quick, easy meals. Ramen is packaged in bulk, so buy a lot to avoid emergency trips to the store.
3. Oatmeal: Probably the world’s most notable breakfast meal, oatmeal can be cooked in seconds. Individual packets can be found in the dining hall, although you may want to purchase a lot, so head to Hannaford and pick up a few boxes.
4. Egg Mug-muffin: When you want to whip up a hearty meal, but don’t have much time, try your hand at an egg mug-muffin! They only take a couple minutes and they are delicious. Crack an egg into a mug, stir and add peppers, cheese, onions, broccoli or any other topping of your choosing! Be sure to mix all ingredients together before placing the mug in the microwave. Set the microwave for one minute and let sit for thirty seconds to cool down. Now you have yourself a tasty and healthy meal!
5. Baked Potato: Who says you can’t make your own baked potato? You only need a potato, toppings and a microwave, after all. Just heat up the potato in the microwave using the “potato setting” and peel the skin off when you take it out. Add sour cream, cheese, bacon bits or any other topping that tickle your fancy. It only takes a few minutes to make, and it comes out delicious!